Shoosmiths is committed to protecting the environment by demonstrating high standards of environmental responsibility in all of our operations and preventing or mitigating the environmental impacts associated with our activities, products and services. Continual improvement forms an important part of our approach in order that we can achieve an overall positive environmental impact as a result of the way we do business.
Shoosmiths strives to achieve balance in the three pillars of sustainability – environment, society and the economy.
Our documented approach is based on:
- identifying and satisfying compliance obligations and demonstration of best practice;
- identifying and managing environmental risks and opportunities;
- understanding and management of direct and indirect environmental impacts associated with our operations, products and services;
- focusing on pollution prevention, a carbon net zero emissions future, responsible use of resources, waste avoidance; minimising the need for business travel and selecting products and services with reduced environmental impacts;
- assignment at all management levels of roles with defined responsibilities and authorities for compliance related requirements;
- provision of appropriate training and awareness programmes to upskill our colleagues to identify, understand and minimise environmental risks associated with their roles and business activities, and to mobilise their skills and expertise to achieve transformational change and systemic business solutions;
- measuring, monitoring, auditing and targeting improvements in our environmental performance through objective and target setting, with appropriate corrective actions undertaken;
- engaging and partnering with our supply chain to encourage the measurement of environmental impacts, the setting of targets and to improve performance. Supporting our Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) validated targets to reach net-zero GHG emissions across the value chain by FY2040 is a particular priority;
- forming allegiances with appropriate voluntary initiatives at a local, national or global level particularly those aligned with the 2030 global Sustainable Development Goals;
- implementing, maintaining, and communicating this policy across the firm and making it available to all interested internal and external stakeholders; and
- providing regular disclosure on our progress and plans.
Date: 3 July 2023
Signed: David Jackson, Chief Executive