About this course
The consequence of dismissing an employee without following a full disciplinary procedure is that you may face a claim of unfair dismissal, which can be costly for you to defend. You may have to justify your decisions at an Employment Tribunal and making the wrong decision can have both financial and reputational impact.
This course provides an overview of the legal issues associated with the disciplinary process and practical guidance related to the creation and conduct of a fair and effective process.
Topics covered include
- fair disciplinary procedures
- disciplinary hearings
- disciplinary sanction
- appeals against disciplinary sanction
What you will learn
- anticipate the key areas an Employment Tribunal will consider in determining whether an employee's dismissal is fair
- conduct yourself with confidence under cross examination
- identify a range of behaviours considered to be misconduct
- construct a disciplinary procedure
- identify the circumstances in which a disciplinary investigation should be conducted
- describe how an investigation should be conducted
- prepare for a Disciplinary Hearing
- conduct a Disciplinary Hearing
- impose appropriate sanctions
- distinguish between misconduct and gross misconduct
- communicate a disciplinary sanction effectively
- respond to an appeal against a disciplinary sanction
Who is this course for?
This course will be valuable for line managers or anyone working in a human resource management capacity.