Shoosmiths’ banking and finance team is recognised for its breadth of coverage, servicing clients across all UK jurisdictions, as well as all over the world.
Our specialist banking & finance team has a wide range and high level of experience. We advise clients on a range of financing transactions across a wide variety of industries including healthcare, energy, telecoms and retail, often with a multi-jurisdictional element.
We act for borrowers, lenders, and investors, meaning we understand the practical needs of all parties when going through financing transactions. Our breadth of expertise includes:
- Corporate lending
- Real estate finance
- Leveraged and acquisition finance
- Private equity backed investments
- Venture debt
- Asset backed lending
- Marine, aviation, and rail finance and leasing
UK banking and finance
Our team operates across England & Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland providing our client-focused approach across all our UK locations. We work with many major UK banks, and financial institutions, as well as the UK offices of overseas lenders and we have approved panel solicitor status with many of them. We act for both national and multi-national businesses and regularly assist the UK subsidiaries of major multinational groups with respect to their finance requirements.
Providing English law advice on foreign law financings
We have long standing relationships with the Banking & Finance departments of law firms across the globe, and we regularly provide them with English law advice on their clients’ financings. Typically, our role involves managing the English security (and releases), checking due incorporation, capacity and authority to enter into to documentation and (where appropriate) providing English legal opinions. We work collaboratively with the lead firm to deliver a seamless service to the end client.
International banking and finance
Our team has significant experience acting as lead counsel on multi-jurisdictional financings, as well as acting as local counsel where English law advice is required on transactions that are being managed in another jurisdiction.
Leading on multi-jurisdictional work
We advise lenders and borrowers on multi-jurisdictional banking & finance transactions. With our network of overseas colleagues, we can draw upon the best possible expertise to support clients on their international projects. Recent experience of acting as lead counsel on cross-border financings includes advising:
- an English challenger bank on their multi-million-pound financing of a leading e-commerce marketing group, working alongside and managing local counsel in 10 jurisdictions in the process
- an Indonesian mobile service provider on its USD40,000,000 facilities from an international investment management firm
- a publicly listed defence business in respect of its £40m financing with a club of three banks (including an accordion option) to finance the acquisitions of Portuguese and German subsidiary companies
- advising British International Investments plc in relation to several cross-jurisdictional financings, often involving jurisdictions across Asia and Africa
- acting for RBS International providing a £50m development finance facility provided for the World Trade Centre in Gibraltar