Alice Beevor is a third seat trainee in Shoosmiths’ Commercial team based in Manchester. Here she shares her experience of working for Shoosmiths in Manchester and the opportunities available in this thriving city.
Since opening its doors in 2009, the Manchester office has experienced over a decades’ worth of growth and asserted a strong presence in the city. The office has grown organically from 27 employees to an impressive 199. Located in one of the most vibrant parts of the city, The XYZ Building in Spinningfields is where Shoosmiths calls home. Spinningfields is a thriving hub, home to some of Manchester’s most successful businesses, bars and restaurants. Despite the undeniable buzz of Spinningfields, the office retains its calm atmosphere which includes a garden with collaborative working zones, a library, the factory meeting room, and many more unique features. The first floor of the office is a dedicated client space, offering different sized board rooms, each decorated with a piece of local history on the walls. The second floor is where Shoosmiths staff are based, and each department has its own dedicated ‘neighbourhood’ within the office. The office promotes agile working and hot desking, allowing employees to mix with different people every day which upholds Shoosmiths non-hierarchical approach.
There are always new initiatives to get involved in such as the ‘Get your Shoos on’ campaign, a Halloween bake-off and even a Celebrity Football Match! The firm also supports the networks Balance, Proud and Embrace with frequent meetings and seminars for members to attend. In addition, the Charity Committee is well-established in Manchester and has recently hosted events to support our Charity of the Year, Odd Arts.
After being crowned the top travel destination for 2023 by Lonely Planet, it is no secret that Manchester is an exciting city, growing in both size and renown over the years. This prestigious award is testament to infinite opportunity in Manchester. Popular Mancunian attractions include the People’s History Museum, the recently redeveloped Mayfield Park and Freight Island, Whitworth Art Gallery, the John Rylands Library, the Portico Library (where the Manchester Book Club hosted an event with Vikas Shah) as well as two international football stadiums! If you want to visit the countryside, you can hop on the train to the Peak District, see the sights at Dovestones Reservoir or head south on the tram to Didsbury Village to explore the tasteful cafes and peaceful gardens outside of the city. Manchester is well-connected to other Northern hot spots such as Leeds and Liverpool which are only a short train journey away.
Life as a lawyer in Manchester offers you opportunities to grow and be part of the Shoosmiths journey.
Facts & figures for Manchester (as of February 2023):
- Address: The XYZ Building, 2 Hardman Boulevard, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3AZ
- Head of office: Sarah Teal
- Total number of staff: 176
- Number of partners (or equivalent): 37
- Number of trainees: 11 (5 1st year trainees, 6 2nd year trainees)
- Current trainee vacancies: September intake – 4 trainees, March intake - 2 trainees
- Trainee salary: Year 1 - £32,000, Year 2 - £34,000
- NQ salary: £60,000
- Likely trainee seats: Real Estate, Construction, Banking & Finance, Corporate, Restructuring & Advisory, Commercial, Employment and Dispute Resolution.
- Local junior lawyer & business networking groups:
- Find out more local knowledge on Instagram:
A couple of facts about Manchester:
- In 1904, Rolls met Royce at the Midland Hotel where they founded their automotive company Rolls-Royce at The Midland Hotel located near St Peter’s Square in Manchester. They later launched their first car The Silver Ghost in 1907.
- Emmeline Pankhurst founded the Women’s Social and Political Union in 1903 in Manchester. This sparked the beginning of the Suffragette movement that helped all women get the right to vote in 1928.
- JK Rowling came up with the idea to invent the sport Quidditch in 1991 when she stayed at the Bourneville Hotel in Manchester.
Apply for an insight evening, placement and training contract in Shoosmiths’ Manchester office here.