Joe is a Partner and the Head of Shoosmiths' IT & Technology team.
Joe has helped establish Shoosmiths’ IT and Technology team as one of the leading practices in the UK; winning TMT Team of the Year at the 2023 Legal Business Awards and ranked Band 1 by Legal 500 and Chambers UK Guide. The team is described as a “[t]hriving team that draws on a wealth of expertise to handle the complete range of IT matters and represents a fine choice for clients." (Chambers UK Guide).
Joe is consistently ranked as a leading individual in IT and technology by UK legal directories, being described as having “the perfect balance of deep legal expertise, extensive subject area knowledge and strong negotiation and relationship-building skills” (Chambers UK Guide).
Joe has extensive experience of advising on all forms of IT and technology transactions across a range of sectors, but has particular expertise in advising on large-scale transformational outsourcings and projects in the automotive, retail and financial services sector. He is also a leading advisor on transactions involving Web3 and the Metaverse.
Joe’s major recent transactions include advising:
- a major telecommunication provider on its £200million+ procurement of a state-of-the art, greenfield IT system;
- a global automotive manufacturer on various business critical IT projects, including its £50m+ next generation IT services contract and tech-enabled customer contact centre involving a full transformation program for the introduction of AI and chat bots;
- advising various global brands on the launch of Web3 and Metaverse projects;
- one of the world's largest banks on the procurement of critical IT systems and infrastructure for the operation of its new motor lending business;
- a global mass media company on the first generation outsourcing of its technology operations centre based in India to provide IT support and services across its entire global business;
- one of the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care products on its global procurement of its customer engagement platform with one of the world’s leading providers, as well as other cutting edge technology projects involving AR and social retail;
- a FTSE 100 company on its multi-million pound global procurement and roll-out of a new CRM system involving various Tier 1 suppliers;
- one of the world's largest multinational brewing companies on various IT projects, including the design, development and deployment of a pan-European e-commerce platform and a multi-million pound supply chain and demand management system for its UK business.